Saturday, April 9, 2011

Food Trippings 04-09-2011

      School breaks are probably the busiest days in our house. All of us kids are at home and my mom can't get enough of us roaming around the house. Everytime we're home, we ask our parents to buy/cook us food that we don't get to eat when we're away and my parents oblige happily. Especially to me, since I'm the one who is always away and they feel like I don't eat well in U.P.
      Well anyway, a couple of days ago, my siblings and I went to Subic with our mom for grocery shopping. My Kuya and I picked up some microwavable mac & cheese, taco shells, taco mix and cheese to try out when we get home. And today we had the chance to try it. :) I bought some ground beef, white onions and cabbage to complete the recipe. Sauteed the beef with the onionsand taco mix, made salsa, grated the cheese, heated the shells and WHOLA! Instant home-made tacos for merienda. :D
taco assembly line

      The thing is, merienda is kind of a big deal in our family. It's like one other official meal. People could probably tell if they see our bodies. Haha Today our relatives came over for merienda and good thing they liked it else my Kuya and I were gonna be the only one to finish all that food. Three families ended up having the tacos for merienda.
my own taco with no gulay. hehe

      After a couple of hours, my mom and I realized we didn't have anything for dinner so we started thinking of food, 'coz last night we had Jollibee for dinner. We then remembered the Soy Chicken we had a week ago in SM Megamall at Kowloon that we really liked. And so I looked up the recipe on the net and bought the necessary ingredients. We already had half of the ingredients at home, so I just bought chicken, scallions and star anise.
      As soon as I got home from, my dad and I started preparing our own Soy Chicken following the recipe from Food.com. We kinda strayed away from some of the stuff like replacing the five-spice powder with ground black pepper, using 4 chicken thighs instead of a whole and ignoring the sesame seeds completely.
our very own Soy Chicken... yum!

      My dad was kind of skeptical about it, saying that it's just chicken dipped in soy sauce but it turned out really good even though we weren't able to thicken the sauce as much. Overall, I'd say our little experiment was a success! :D Hehe

      Tomorrow, we're gonna try the mac and cheese. If not, some spaghetti doesn't sound so bad on a Sunday afternoon. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment